[Dovecot] Possible mbox corruption

Jost Krieger Jost.Krieger+dovecot at rub.de
Fri Sep 14 13:47:59 EEST 2012

On Tue 11 Sep 2012 05:33:10 PM GMT, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Any Content-Length header sent by IMAP client or via LDA input should
> always get dropped (among some other headers) and replaced with the
> correct value. So if there's a bug, I doubt it has anything to do with
> that. But if you can easily reproduce this failure it would be nice to
> get it fixed..

You're right, of course. And I cannot reproduce the problem. The user
that could reproduce it has somehow given up.

I'v experimented and read the source, and there is no way a "Content-Length"
could be saved by dovecot :-)

But ...

This is on a system where delivery is not (yet) via dovecot, but directly
by qmail. Two possibilities come to mind:

1. We have a locking problem that only surfaces when qmail and dovecot
   try to write at the same time to the end of the mbox. Most people
   (and clients) hardly ever do an APPEND to the INBOX.

2. Something qmail writes to the INBOX makes dovecot hiccup (like a
   wrong Content-Length header :-;).

Which would anyone think more likely?

Yours
Jost Krieger
--
| Jost.Krieger+sig at ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine    at RUB Comp. Center |