[Dovecot] key -> object mailstore

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Sep 14 17:59:17 EEST 2012

On 14.9.2012, at 17.46, Damien Churchill wrote:

> I was wondering what would be entailed in modifying dovecot 2.2 to
> support storing mail in an object store. I've seen a few mails dotted
> around in the ML history about supporting such a thing and seen it's
> basically dependant upon some changes in lib-storage to support
> writing messages without locking. Is this still the case?

I've a whole new design for it and I was planning on implementing it for v2.2. Do you want to help coding it? :) Which storage would you want to use?

The generic idea is:
 - only one server accesses one user simultaneously
 - index files are copied from object storage to local filesystem and accessed there, once in a while uploaded back to object storage
 - if user is accessed from two servers because of some bug/split brain/something, the changes are merged using dsync
 - support high latency: asynchronous reads/writes. prefetch mail bodies.