[Dovecot] Error: User doesn't have home dir set, disabling duplicate database

Carsten Laun-De Lellis carsten.delellis at delellis.net
Sun Sep 16 17:30:36 EEST 2012

Hi

First of all thank you for helping me to fix the problem. I am trying out
ldap to get used to it. As I wrote I have a mysql setup up and running.

Here's the output of doveconf -n:

# 2.1.9: /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.18-028stab099.3 x86_64 Ubuntu 11.04 vzfs
auth_mechanisms = plain login
disable_plaintext_auth = no
hostname = smtp.example.com
mail_location = maildir:/vmail/%d/%n
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
namespace {
  inbox = yes
  location = maildir:/vmail/%d/%n
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}
passdb {
  args = /scripts/ldap/mail/auth.ldap
  driver = ldap
}
plugin {
  recipient_delimiter = +
  sieve = /vmail/%d/%n/dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = /vmail/%d/%n
  sieve_global_dir = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve
  sieve_global_path = /var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve
}
postmaster_address = root at example.com
protocols = imap sieve
service auth {
    group = postfix
    mode = 0660
    user = postfix
  }
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    mode = 0660
    user = vmail
  }
}
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
  inet_listener sieve_deprecated {
    port = 2000
  }
  process_min_avail = 0
  service_count = 1
  vsz_limit = 64 M
}
ssl_cert = </certs/mail/mailpublic.pem
ssl_key = </certs/mail/mailkey.pem
userdb {
  args = /scripts/ldap/mail/auth.ldap
  driver = ldap
}
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = " sieve"
}
protocol sieve {
  mail_max_userip_connections = 10
  managesieve_implementation_string = Dovecot Pigeonhole
  managesieve_logout_format = bytes=%i/%o
  managesieve_max_line_length = 65536

And here is also my auth ldap file:

uris = ldap://smtp.example.com
dn = cn=admin, dc=example, dc=com
dnpass = secret
tls = no
base = ou=mailuser,dc=example,dc=com
ldap_version = 3

user_attrs = home=/vmail/%d/%n,=uid=5000,=gid=5000
user_filter = (&(objectClass=PFMailAccount)(pfMail=%u))

pass_attrs = pfClearPassword=password
pass_filter = (&(objectClass=PFMailAccount)(pfMail=%u))

default_pass_scheme = PLAIN

Again thank you very much for any help.

Mit freundlichem Gruß

Carsten Laun-De Lellis
Dipl.-Ing. Elektrotechnik
Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)

Hauptstrasse 13
D-67705 Trippstadt

Phone:   +49 (6306) 992140
Mobile:  +49 (151) 27530865