[Dovecot] doveadm backup - Fatal: All your namespaces have a location setting.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 17 15:40:15 EEST 2012

On 16.9.2012, at 18.48, Tobias Hachmer wrote:

> I am using dovecot v2.1.9 and have a problem with doveadm backup:
>
> # doveadm backup -u user at domain.com maildir:/backup/domain.com/user/Maildir
> doveadm(user at domain.com): Fatal: All your namespaces have a location setting. It should be empty (default mail_location) in the namespace to be converted.

Different installations use different kinds of namespaces for different purposes, so dsync can't simply sync all the namespaces. It syncs only the namespace which uses the global mail_location setting (not overriding it by having an explicit location setting).

> namespace inbox {
>  inbox = yes
>  location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir:INDEX=/var/vmail/indexes/%u

So you probably should remove this location setting (and make sure mail_location is the same).