[Dovecot] trash plugin together with sieve_before ?

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Tue Sep 18 16:41:16 EEST 2012

On 9/18/2012 1:38 PM, Jan-Frode Myklebust wrote:
> We have a sieve script doing sieve_before to sort spam to
> spam-folders. Now I'm trying to configure the "Trash" plugin, but it
> doesn't seem to work.. I noticed my config file says:
>
>    # Space separated list of plugins to load (none known to be useful
> so far). Do NOT
>    # try to load IMAP plugins here.
>    #mail_plugins =
>
> and that doveconf doesn't list any plugins loaded for "protocol
> sieve". Should we load quota and trash here ?

Keep in mind that the Sieve language and the Sieve protocol are two
different things. The Sieve language is what processes incoming e-mails;
for Dovecot it is executed by a plugin for LTMP or LDA during message
delivery. The Sieve protocol - which is actually called ManageSieve - is
used to upload Sieve scripts to the Server. That mail_plugins setting
applies to the Sieve protocol, for which currently no useful plugins are
known. The Sieve protocol service does not (currently) open any mail
stores, which makes configuring mail-related plugins for it - such as
quota and trash - utterly useless.

So, in short, the answer to the above question is no.

To help you further, we need some more information about your
configuration. First of all, please provide the output of dovecot -n to
this list. Also, describe more thoroughly what is going wrong. Do you
see any log messages, etc.

Regards,

Stephan.