[Dovecot] Can`t get over 1024 processes on FreeBSD - possible bug?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Sep 21 12:52:50 EEST 2012

Am 21.09.2012 11:32, schrieb Tomáš Randa:
> Hello,
>
> I still cannot get dovecot running with more then 1000 processes, but hard limit is 8192 per user in box. I tried
> everything, including modifying startup script of dovecot to set ulimit -u 8192. Could it be some dovecot bug or
> dovecot<>freebsd bug?
> I also tried to set client_limit=2 in imap service to spawn more imap clients in one process, but still I am over
> 1000 processes with kernel message:

no idea about BSD but your config are
a total of up to 10.240 PROCESSES

one process has MUCH MORE than one file-handle
i have ONE imap-login process with 572 file-handles

your configuration eats up to 5 Mio. file-handles
maybe you running out of OS ressources

1000 prcoesses are up to 500000 file handles for one service

[root at mail:~]$ ps aux | grep imap-login | wc -l
2

[root at mail:~]$ lsof | grep imap-l | wc -l
572

for imaplogin / pop3-login as example you do not need a PROCESS per
connection

service_count                = 0
process_min_avail            = 1
process_limit                = 10
client_limit                 = 200

this can handle 2000 connections with up to 10 processes