[Dovecot] 76Gb to 146Gb

Michael Orlitzky michael at orlitzky.com
Tue Sep 25 05:59:15 EEST 2012

On 09/24/2012 01:42 PM, Spyros Tsiolis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a DL360 G4 1U server that does a wonderfull job with dovecot horde,
> Xmail and OpenLDAP for a company and serving about 40 acouunts.
>
> The machine is wonderful. I am very happy with it.
> However, I am running out of disk space.
> It has two times 76Gb Drives in RAID1 (disk mirroring) and the capacity
> has reached 82%.
>
> I am starting of getting nervous.
>
> Does anyone know of a painless way to migrate the entire contents directly
> to another pair of 146Gb SCSI RAID1 disks ?
>
> I thought of downtime and using clonezilla, but my last experience with it
> was questionable. I remember having problems declaring disk re-sizing
> from the smaller capacity drives to the larger ones.

We've done this on the same hardware. You can pick up these servers for
cheap; just buy an extra one. Take the new machine, throw two big disks
in it, and install Gentoo.

Rsync the important stuff. Make sure all of the services are working on
the new machine.

When you're ready to make the switch, disable external networking on the
current live server. Rsync everything again, and then turn the old
server off. Add its IP address to the new server. Maybe kick your
router's ARP cache to expedite the change. It should only cause a minute
or two of downtime.