[Dovecot] duplicate all emails for 'backup' after user deletes them?

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Sep 26 17:31:41 EEST 2012

Am 26.09.2012 16:21, schrieb Charles Marcus:
> On 2012-09-25 4:24 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:
>> Am 25.09.2012 10:07, schrieb Voytek Eymont:
>>> I have a user who occasionally reads, then deletes emails using his
>>> phone,
>>> on his and others email accounts, causing emails deleted on mail server,
>>> then he says 'oops, can you recover emails I've deleted?'
>>>
>>> what's the best way to duplicate all emails to duplicate accounts ?
>>> backup
>>> folders ? so, next time he deletes emails they can be 'recovered' on the
>>> server ?
>> configure his phone to leave messages on the server
>>
>> if this is the case and he is deleting them manually explain
>> him that it is NOT your problem if he is too stupid to use
>> email at all and sooner or later he will learn it
>
> Not an option if said user is the boss...

you may do it like this, other soltuions may also thinkable
( depends on your local needs and setup)

configure email archive i.e with postfix

with i.e

always_bcc = address
        Deliver a copy of all mail to the specified address. In Postfix
versions before 2.1, this feature is implemented by smtpd(8), qmqpd(8),
or pickup(8).
    sender_bcc_maps = type:table
        Search the specified "type:table" lookup table with the envelope
sender address for an automatic BCC address. This feature is available
in Postfix 2.1 and later.
    recipient_bcc_maps = type:table
        Search the specified "type:table" lookup table with the envelope
recipient address for an automatic BCC address. This feature is
available in Postfix 2.1 and later.

deliver bc whatever to a second imap account mailbox in a folder set
read only via acl
i.e with sieve, if you want ,sort by date too etc
so if mail was lost ,why ever, the user is able to login into his archive
and copy that mail back to his real account

--
Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer