[Dovecot] (new) director issues in 2.1.10

Kelsey Cummings kgc at corp.sonic.net
Wed Sep 26 21:06:33 EEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 08:57:58PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 26.9.2012, at 20.34, Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>
> > The following errors on the directors that started after this went unnoticed until this AM.
> >
> > director: User bb host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 30 secs (Ring synced for 36 secs)
> > director: User cc host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 48 secs (Ring synced for 66 secs, user refreshed 12 secs ago)
> > director: User dd host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 124 secs (Ring synced for 119 secs, weak user, user refreshed 155 secs ago)
> > director: User ee host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 79 secs (Ring synced for 119 secs, weak user, user refreshed 113 secs ago)
> > User ff host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 30 secs (Ring synced for 7427 secs, weak user, user refreshed 620 secs ago)
> >
> > This continued, combined with occasional login timeouts (as reported by some internal imap clients.)  The login delays/timeouts got bad enough that our load balancers dropped both the servers while I was investigating. They seem to be okay after being restarted.
>
> After the first few minutes, did all the rest of the error messages contain "weak user" string? Did this happen to a lot of different users (few/some/most)? director_user_expire setting is the default 15 minutes?

No, there continued to be a mix of both.  The pattern seems to look like
this.  I'll run some stats later but it looks like a pretty significant
number of users where affected.

09:25:21 .. User X host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 30 secs (Ring synced for 5032 secs)
09:25:55 .. User X host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 30 secs (Ring synced for 5066 secs, weak user, user refreshed 64 secs ago)
09:26:28 .. User X host lookup failed: Timeout - queued for 30 secs (Ring synced for 5099 secs, weak user, user refreshed 97 secs ago)

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at corp.sonic.net      sonic.net, inc.
System Architect                          2260 Apollo Way