[Dovecot] LTMP Proxy fails when backend server connection refused

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Sep 28 20:44:21 EEST 2012

On 9/28/2012 11:37 AM, Jack Bates wrote:
> On 9/27/2012 3:30 PM, Jack Bates wrote:
>> Version: 2.1.9
>>
>> Connecting directly to the proxy server on the LMTP port, issue lhlo,
>> mail from, rcpt to, data. After the . closing of data, it just hangs
>> there. The logs on the proxy server show:
> I am not sure which method we really want in the lmtp proxy. Should it
> be failing at the initial rcpt command or after the data command.
> Currently, though I haven't checked yet, we don't appear to be
> detecting the input failure and handling the data command correctly
> since we've already allowed the rcpt to proceed without a backend
> proxy available.

Further testing shows that the connection fails are normally handled
after the DATA block. It works perfectly if you only fail one recipient.
If all recipients are failed, the code locks up instead of telling the
client that they are all failed.

Now to find out where between lmtp_client_fail() and some other part of
the code, we aren't treating it right. :(

Jack