[Dovecot] Alerts when process limits are met

David Anderson david at wordshell.net
Sat Sep 1 11:10:37 EEST 2012

Hi,

I've not found the answer to this question anywhere - please forgive me
if I overlooked.

I'd like to be able to be automatically alerted if process limits are
hit (e.g. max POP3 logins).

Is there a way that I can configure a script to be run, in the same way
that I can with quota warnings?

I can of course use logwatch, but this alerts me the next day, and
logwatch can be noisy and it's easy to overlook.

My motivation: for some reason my POP3 listener was hanging, and I had
to restart dovecot (this is 2.0.9). But I was not aware - the process
was still there, it was accepting connections (but not doing anything
useful with them) and was actually managing to log the fact that the
process limit was being hit (as more and more connections came in). If I
could have been alerted I could have restarted dovecot earlier.

Many thanks,
David

--
WordShell - WordPress fast from the CLI - www.wordshell.net