[Dovecot] dovecot stats: useful data to gather

Kelsey Cummings kgc at corp.sonic.net
Thu Sep 6 03:17:46 EEST 2012

On 06/02/12 17:10, Daniel Parthey wrote:
> Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
>> following our discussion on dovecot stats at the LinuxTag 2012 my team and I
>> sat down and put together a list of stat items we think to be useful in daily
>> dovecot usage.
>>
>> Besides pulling together all the data we also think it would be useful to have
>> an SNMP interface to access the stats. Our offer to create and contribute a
>> standalone web interface for dovecot stats stands.
>
> This should be done via SNMP subagent, but how could you differentiate
> different dovecot instances on the same machine, different snmp ports
> for the subagent, or different snmp trees?

I'd suggest some additional performance metrics like min/max/avg time to
authenicate, establish a proxy session and perhaps include auth failure
causes counters as well.

I personally wouldn't want to see this implemented as an SNMP subagent
but so long as the stats would be available off a local socket directly
I think everyone would be happy.

-K