[Dovecot] ChgrpNoPerm issue

Robert JR roundcube222 at alaadin.org
Sun Sep 9 20:51:30 EEST 2012

I have dovecot version 2.0.9

I am confused about this article
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Errors/ChgrpNoPerm

my mail_location =
mbox:~/mymail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

So my inbox is at var/mail/ and my
imap folder is /home/user/mymail

The problem is /var/mail (Owner is
useraccount and the group us mail) , and here comes the problem
Dovecot
keeps trying to chown the imap folder inside the homedirectory with
user:mail account and since
And this is the reason of error that appears
in my log file.

The option mail_access_groups=mail solve the problem..
but I read it is not secure..
With my current configutation, users login
with imap to read mail , can they use
any the mail_access_groups=mail
and read other poeple mail ? does my configutation
is a shard mailbox
and could be unsecure..

my main quesion , for my current configuration
, can i use mail_access_groups=mail safely or can
some user use this to
read other people mail ? attached my configuration.

why didnot have
this issue with uw-imapd? and why dovecot try to chown the .imap
folder
with the mail group ?

dovecot -n output is

# 2.0.9:
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64 x86_64
CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_debug =
yes
mail_location = mbox:~/mymail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mbox_write_locks =
fcntl
passdb {
 driver = pam