[Dovecot] dsync issue: "Server sent invalid input: Error parsing input: Unexpected ')'"

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Sep 10 14:33:08 EEST 2012

Hi,

I'm trying to use dsync (dovecot version 2.1.9) for IMAP only per-user
migration from other IMAP servers to my shiny new one.  One worked quite
well, but there is a problem with an old IMAP server:

dsync(migtest at office): Debug: imapc(imap-sunw-old.servers.intra:143): Looking up IP address
dsync(migtest at office): Debug: imapc(imap-sunw-old.servers.intra:143): Connecting to 192.168.10.100:143
dsync(migtest at office): Error: imapc(imap-sunw-old.servers.intra:143): Server sent invalid input: Error parsing input: Unexpected ')'
dsync(migtest at office): Debug: imapc(imap-sunw-old.servers.intra:143): Disconnected
dsync(migtest at office): Error: imapc: Command failed: Disconnected from server
dsync(migtest at office): Error: user migtest at office: Initialization failed: Initializing mail storage from mail_location setting failed: imapc: LIST failed: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2012-09-10 11:49:02]
dsync(migtest at office): Fatal: User init failed

What can cause this? "By hand" test with telnet'ing says:

dovecot-test:~$ telnet imap-sunw-old.servers.intra 143
Trying 192.168.10.100...
Connected to imap-sunw-old.servers.intra.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ NAMESPACE UIDPLUS
CHILDREN BINARY UNSELECT SORT LANGUAGE XSENDER X-NETSCAPE XSERVERINFO
X-SUN-SORT X-SUN-IMAP X-ANNOTATEMORE X-UNAUTHENTICATE XUM1 AUTH=PLAIN]
imap-sunw-old.servers.intra IMAP4 service (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging
Server 6.3-5.02 (built Oct 12 2007; 32bit))

(this is one line of course)

Is it possible that the problem about ')' is caused by this line? Or is it
tottaly different issue? I just think this, because the the major difference
between this and the working server on migration is to have ')' and '('
at the imap "greeting", the working server does not have those, and the
error message is about something with ')'.

The command was the following (no configuration in dovecot for this, only
this command is given at shell level - currently mainly for testing if it
works or not);

doveadm -D -v -o imapc_features=rfc822.size \
	-o imapc_host=192.168.10.100 \
	-o imapc_user=migtest at office -o imapc_password=SECRET backup -R -f \
	-u migtest at office imapc:

This was OK with a dovecot v1 as the "source" (as I've written) but has the
problem I've desribed with that "old" sun messaging server as the source.

I've also used tcpdump then wireshark's "follow TCP stream" on it: the
communication seems to be just that "greeting" line, then my (target)
dovecot sends FIN.

That "old" server works otherwise since years with various IMAP clients.

The log of my server does not contain too much just the db lookups, which
works nicely (the same for working and non-working source IMAP servers):

Sep 10 11:49:02 dovecot-test dovecot: auth: Debug: prefetch(migtest at office): passdb didn't return userdb entries, trying the next userdb
Sep 10 11:49:02 dovecot-test dovecot: auth: Debug: ldap(migtest at office): user search: base=cn=mail,dc=office,dc=intra scope=subtree filter=(&(objectClass=mailUser)(uid=migtest at office)) fields=uid
Sep 10 11:49:02 dovecot-test dovecot: auth: Debug: ldap(migtest at office): result: uid=migtest at office

Any help is welcome,

- Gábor