[Dovecot] Is it possible to save only some messages compressed to mdbox? (2.1.6)

Jost Krieger Jost.Krieger+dovecot at rub.de
Tue Sep 11 15:40:14 EEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 11:08:38PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 20.8.2012, at 16.06, Jost Krieger wrote:
>
> > So here's the questions:
> >
> > 1. Is it possible to have compressed/uncompressed mails mixed in an
> >   mdbox?
>
> Yes. Compression is detected on a per-mail basis.
>
> > 2. Will it work via "-o" in lda delivery?
> >
> > I tried to find out in the source but found it hard to see which options
> > are pulled in when.
>
> -o can override all settings that are handled by the running process itself, so yes that includes compression stuff.

Thank you for all your help, but I just can't get it to work.

What I have now: For some mailboxes I pt extra parameters in the
delivery command (via maildrop):

EXTRACOMPRESS="-o debug_log_path=/tmp/lda-debug-log -o mail_debug=yes -o plugin/zlib_save_level=9 -o plugin/zlib_save=bz2"

These parameters do arrive in lda:
1. Logging works.
2. If I replace plugin/zlib_save_level=9 with plugin/zlib_save_level=10
   I get the correct error message from the zlib plugin.

There are no problems in the logs and the mails arrive safely.
There is just no compressed material in my mdbox storage files.

Yours
Jost Krieger
--
| Jost.Krieger+sig at ruhr-uni-bochum.de  Please help stamp out spam! |
| Postmaster, JAPH, resident answer machine    at RUB Comp. Center |