[Dovecot] Can`t get over 1024 processes

Tomáš Randa tomas at blueboard.cz
Mon Sep 17 17:40:55 EEST 2012

Hello,

I have configuration question. Running FreeBSD 9.0 / AMD64 / Dovecot
2.1.8 version and cannot get over 1024 processes. I`ve increased
process_limit in imap and pop3 and still have messages in syslog like:
maxproc limit exceeded by uid 89, please see tuning(7) and login.conf(5).
Did I forget to increase some other value? System values are higher -
kern.maxprocperuid: 8192 and kern.maxproc: 12288

I`d like to have more secure configuration > one process to one connection.

Thanks for help.

Tomas

My config:

# OS: FreeBSD 9.0-STABLE amd64
auth_mechanisms = plain login digest-md5 cram-md5
default_client_limit = 6200
default_process_limit = 4096
disable_plaintext_auth = no
first_valid_gid = 89
first_valid_uid = 89
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-info.log
last_valid_gid = 89
last_valid_uid = 89
listen = *
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
login_greeting = Mail Toaster (Dovecot) ready.
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
mail_privileged_group = mail
maildir_broken_filename_sizes = yes
passdb {
   driver = vpopmail
}
plugin {
   quota = maildir
   quota_rule = Trash:ignore
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
   unix_listener auth-client {
     mode = 0660
   }
   unix_listener auth-master {
     mode = 0600
   }
}
service imap-login {
   process_limit = 1536
   service_count = 1
}
service imap {
   process_limit = 2048
}
service pop3-login {
   service_count = 1
}
service pop3 {
   process_limit = 2048
}
shutdown_clients = no
ssl_cert = </var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
ssl_key = </var/qmail/control/servercert.pem
userdb {
   args = blocking=yes
   driver = passwd
}
userdb {
   driver = vpopmail
}
verbose_proctitle = yes
protocol imap {
   imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
   mail_max_userip_connections = 1024
   mail_plugins = quota imap_quota
}
protocol lda {