[Dovecot] noisy auth-worker messages in logs (dovecot 2.1.8 FreeBSD)

Philippe Chevalier chevalier at dspnet.fr
Mon Sep 24 16:48:11 EEST 2012

Hello,

I don't know if it's been addressed before, but anyway :

In my dovecot setup, I have local and virtual users. So, I need multiple passdb
backends. Namely, passwd for the local users and ldap for the virtual
users.

passdb {
   driver = passwd
}
passdb {
   args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
   driver = ldap
}
Everything work correctly : when a user logs in (imap/pop3) there's a
lookup in passwd and if it fails there's a lookup in ldap (if I
understand the process correctly), which eventually succeeds.

Except that every time a virtual user logs in, dovecot logs an error,
like :

dovecot: auth-worker(99126): Error: passwd(xxx at domain.org,12.34.254.255): getpwnam() failed: Invalid argument

I guess it's because the login is a full email that getpwnam fails.

Anyway, the user logs in just fine. But I would like to know if/how I
can get rid of the messages filling my logs ?

I tried :

auth_debug_passwords = no
auth_verbose = no

But no dice.

I used dovecot 1.x before and there was no such messages.

Thanks for any advice.

K.
--
Kyoko Otonashi's shrine / Le temple de Kyoko Otonashi
My tribute to Maison Ikkoku / Mon hommage a Maison Ikkoku