[Dovecot] with mbox format doveadm ignores subfolders of inbox

Jürgen Obermann Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Thu Sep 27 14:41:15 EEST 2012

Hello.

After we switched the format from mbox to mdbox on our dovecot
(version 2.1.9) servers last week, some of our users were missing the
subfolders of their inboxes. So far we thought that with the mbox
format it is not possible to have mail folders containing both
messages and subfolders. Now we know that there is one exception from
this rule: the inbox. With mbox format dovecot supports subfolders of
the inbox, and a few of our users actually detected and used this
feature! Internally the messages are stored in /var/mail/user or in a
file named 'inbox' and the subfolders are in the directory 'INBOX'.
(The OS is case sensitiv.)

The problem was that doveadm and dsync do not support subfolders of
the inbox and therefore these folders did not get synchronized from
our old mbox server to the new mdbox dovecot server. The command

doveadm -o mail_location=mbox:~user123/Mail mailbox list -u user123 '*'

did not show any subfolder of INBOX, whereas the the following with a
wrong mail_location showed that there are subfolders of INBOX

doveadm -o mail_location=mbox:~user123 mailbox list -u user123 '*'

Finally we could import the missing subfolders one after one in the
mdbox server with commands like this:

doveadm import -u user123 mbox:~user123/Mail "" mailbox INBOX/subfolder all

It would be nice if doveadm could be changed to not overlook
subfolders of the inbox with mbox format.

Greetings,
Jürgen
Hochschulrechenzentrum der | Mail: Juergen.Obermann at hrz.uni-giessen.de
Justus-Liebig-Universitaet | WWW:  http://www.uni-giessen.de/obermann/
Heinrich-Buff-Ring 44      | Tel:  0641-99-13054 (0641-99-13001)
D-35392 Giessen, Germany   | Fax:  0641-99-13009