[Dovecot] checkpassword protocol

dovecot.pkoch at dfgh.net dovecot.pkoch at dfgh.net
Sun Apr 7 14:30:41 EEST 2013

Hi,

I'm writing a checkpassword script in order to support our OTP token
as a fallback for client certificate authentication. Here are two
questions:

1) It seems to me that the username and the password will be
delivered to my script both on file descriptor 3 and via the
environment variables AUTH_USER and AUTH_PASSWORD.
May I ignore file descriptor 3 and use the environment variables
or may it happen that these variables will have differnet content
from what is sent via fd 3?

2) There seems to be some undocumented interaction between
dovecot and my script via file descriptor 4. Seems that whatever
I write to fd 4 will show up in syslog (unless it contains newlines).
Can I use this "feature" to send error messages from my script
to dovecot? What data does dovecot expect on fd 4?

Peter