[Dovecot] IDLE and inactivity

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 7 20:55:26 EEST 2013

On 7.4.2013, at 12.05, Andreas Meyer <anmeyer at anup.de> wrote:

> Apr 07 10:59:40 imap(anmeyer at anup.de): Info: Disconnected: Disconnected in IDLE in=725 out=2546
> Apr 07 10:59:59 imap(anmeyer at anup.de): Info: Disconnected for inactivity in=952 out=25789
>
> Please someone explain to me the IDLE state

IMAP clients often start IDLE command while they aren't doing anything. Server is then free to send any mailbox changes to the client. The above simply means that client had started IDLE command and the TCP connection got disconnected (maybe intentionally by the client).

> and the inactivity state

The client didn't issue IDLE command and didn't send anything at all for 30 minutes. Dovecot disconnected the client since it wasn't doing anything.

> an what the numbers at in= and out= means!

Number of bytes in the TCP connection, input/output.