[Dovecot] Sync errors trying to sync old mbox inboxes to dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Apr 8 00:35:31 EEST 2013

On 6.4.2013, at 0.10, Michael Smith <msmith at giganews.com> wrote:

> I am trying to 'dsync mirror' old Qpopper/mbox inboxes to our new Dovecot/mdbox servers.  For most of the several thousand accounts, it works without issue.  But there are a handful of accounts that are generating the following errors.
>
> dsync(joe): Error: Sync failed for mbox file /var/opt/migrate/users/joe/inbox: seq=981 uid=981 uid_broken=0 originally needed 9 bytes, now needs 11 bytes
>
> dsync(john): Error: Sync failed for mbox file /var/opt/migrate/users/john/inbox: seq=115028 uid=115028 uid_broken=0 originally needed 34 bytes, now needs 35 bytes

These are some generic mbox bugs. I think the error goes away if you just repeat the run?

> dsync(john): Error: Sync failed for mbox file /var/opt/migrate/users/john/inbox: seq=114779 uid=114779 uid_broken=0 originally needed 34 bytes, now needs 35 bytes
> dsync(john): Error: Sync failed for mbox file /var/opt/migrate/users/john/inbox: seq=114778 uid=114778 uid_broken=0 originally needed 34 bytes, now needs 35 bytes

.. or are these all separate dsync runs giving different errors?

Anyway, if you can send me an mbox file where I can reproduce this, I could fix it. You can use http://dovecot.org/tools/mbox-anonymize.pl script to replace all the actual data in the mbox file with 'x' chars.