[Dovecot] checkpassword protocol

Heiko Schlichting dovecot-l at fu-berlin.de
Mon Apr 8 13:42:49 EEST 2013

Timo wrote:
> All the OSes made the environment private 10-15 years ago. I think it's
> pretty safe to assume that older multiuser systems won't be running
> Dovecot with checkpassword backend.

The checkpassword interface is used in many different ways:

I found checkpassword the easiest way to implement authentication against
FreeRADIUS. Using a perl script with

    $input = IO::Handle->new_from_fd(3, "r");

and

    my $output = IO::Handle->new_from_fd(4, "w");

and skipping the checkpassword-reply binary. This works fine on our server
for many years now but every time when I read some related questions on the
list, it seems that a more generic, not so crude interface would be a good
idea for a future version of dovecot.

> But .. eh. I guess: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/9feb2986945c

Great. Thank you.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting                Freie Universität Berlin
heiko.schlichting at fu-berlin.de   Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung
Telefon +49 30 838-54327         Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327         14195 Berlin