[Dovecot] My old email is not stored

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Apr 10 15:05:22 EEST 2013

Am 10.04.2013 13:58, schrieb HylkeB:
> If it is a client issue, than thats fine.

it is

> But then i wonder what the vmail/domain.com/email_name/Maildir/cur folder is
> for, because in there i can find the inbox of the last 14 days. Cant my
> emails be stored there for a longer (or infinite) time? It is not really an
> issue that i need to save my emails locally, but when i log in on a
> webclient to view emails, i dont see all emails, and when i installed my new
> computer a few weeks ago, i did also not have all my emails (since they are
> no longer on the server)

normally POP3 is configured to delete received messages
after some days/weeks and it is not smart to disable this
becuase if you have your local mailarchive and get a new
computer you will receive ALL your mails again

> Awnsering to an earlier reply: I am using pop3, not imap. Is it wise to
> change to imap? or shouldnt i bother that not all emails are stored on the
> server?

nobody can answer this for you

> And how do i change pop3 to imap?

you can't
you have to create a new mail-account and select IMAP in your client

> and lastly, when i were to change
> from pop3 to imap, how big are the changes that i mess up completely and i
> break the email server (which is a major problem)

depends on the storage of your server, on teh amount
of mails, on the size of mails

these are all questions that NOBODY can answer for you
maybe the admin of your mailserver can, hopefully you are not