[Dovecot] My old email is not stored

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Apr 10 15:30:01 EEST 2013

Am 10.04.2013 14:22, schrieb HylkeB:
>> normally POP3 is configured to delete received messages
>> after some days/weeks and it is not smart to disable this
>> becuase if you have your local mailarchive and get a new
>> computer you will receive ALL your mails again
>
> Well, receiving ALL mails again, might not be too handy, but 14 days is a
> quite short time.
> So can i change the pop3 settings so old emails are stored for e.g. 3 months
> instead of 14 days?
> And just curious, where can i disable the configuration that pop3 deletes
> received messages?

why not type in google "<name of your mailclient> POP3 settings"

>> these are all questions that NOBODY can answer for you
>> maybe the admin of your mailserver can, hopefully you are not
>
> Well I am the admin for now, but when business gets more successful i might
> hire someone who can set up the email server the right way; someone who
> knows what he is doing. But for now, as long as everything works its good

it is a serious problem if people which even can not handle a mail-client
maintain critical things like public mailservers because the critical is
not only your problem, it becomes very fast a problem for ANYBODY which
maintains a proper mailservice and has to fight against you spam caused
by wrong configurations (open-relay)