[Dovecot] My old email is not stored

HylkeB hylke at movinsoftware.nl
Thu Apr 11 12:00:27 EEST 2013

 >> Well, receiving ALL mails  again, might not be too handy, but 14 days
 >> is a quite short time. So can i change the pop3 settings so old
 >> emails are stored for e.g. 3 months instead of 14 days? And just
 >> curious, where can i disable the configuration that pop3 deletes
 >> received messages?

>As has already been explained to you, these POP3 settings are CLIENT
>SPECIFIC. There is nothing that you can set on the SERVER to enforce it.
>You can have one client set to leave them on the server for as long as
>you want, and the second you set up your account as POP on another
>device and it connects, bam, all your messages are gone (unless you
>ALWAYS remember to change the setting BEFORE you ever connect to the
>account).

I see now, took some time for me to sink in. Is there any way on the server
to disable the pop3 protocol, so all email users cant accidently use pop3
and delete all their old emails?

I suppose i would have to do something like the following on the server:
 - open dovecot.conf
 - change the first line (currently its protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s),
and remove pop3 and pop3s
 - maybe delete/change something in this piece of code in dovecot.conf:
protocol pop3 {
    pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
}
 - restart dovecot (and maybe some other applications?)

So is this the right way to disable the pop3 protocol in my mail server? I
dont want to crash the mail server by disabling pop3.

And about me being the admin of the mailserver, thanks to you guys im going
to search for a company that can maintain the server stuff for me (hiring
someone is too expensive for now), for they have more experience in servers
and know what to do.
Do you have any tips about what is important knowledge that an external
company must have to properly maintain my server system? (mail server,
backup, security etc)

And thanks for all your help.