[Dovecot] Questions about the upcoming Object Storage Plugin for 2.2

Thu Apr 11 15:31:38 EEST 2013

Hi Timo,

I'm curious and have questions about the new Object Storage Plugin
(OSP), and how it can be leveraged by an SMB like us.

First, am I reading this right where it could be used as a kind of
'live/realtime backup' solution, where everything is stored *both*
locally and in the cloud, with two-way syncing, ie, so local users could
access the local server for faster access, and when outside the office,
they'd access the cloud based storage and any changes made there are
sync'd back to the local server? Or is it intended to be more as an
alternative storage for storing older emails in a separate namespace? Or
both/either?

Second, is SIS fully supported by the OSP?

Third - I'm a little confused by the Amazon S3 pricing page, especially
on how to try to estimate the costs for usage (bandwidth, etc)... do you
have any idea how to go about estimating that? Is there some kind of
process we could use on our existing server to measure it over a given
period of time that would give us an estimate of what to expect if we
decided to switch over?

Last - have you established pricing for the OSP? Will it be per user, or
per MB/GB, per month (or per year), or just a one-time cost? And/or will
you include/bundle it with any/all of your support tiers?

Sorry if I'm jumping the gun here...

Thanks, really looking forward to the 2.2 release!

--

Best regards,

Charles