[Dovecot] LMTP Setup/Design Help Request

Matthias Hofer mazze at the-lions.org
Sat Apr 13 12:17:07 EEST 2013

Hi again,

Thank you for your first hints. I have now set up a dedicated test instance of postfix and dovecot to be
able to recreate the problems in detail.

Even after using your inputs, they do not seem to work with my setup I already mentioned above. I get errors
like

postfix/lmtp[10994]: C2DF4C000DF: to=<user1 at mydomain.org>, relay=mail.mydomain.org[private/dovecot-lmtp],
delay=0.1, delays=0.05/0/0/0.04, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host mail.mydomain.org[private/dovecot-lmtp]
said: 550 5.1.1 <user1 at mydomain.org> User doesn't exist: user1 at mydomain.org (in reply to RCPT TO command))

As stated before, my setup is as follows:

> I only have virtual users and have set
>
> mail_uid = dovemail
> mail_gid = dovemail
>
> For authentication, I simply use (for now) a flat file:
>
> passdb {
>   driver = passwd-file
>   args = scheme=PLAIN username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/mypasswd.file
> }
>
> # cat /etc/dovecot/mypasswd.file
> user1:{PLAIN}userpw1
> user2:{PLAIN}userpw2
> user3:{PLAIN}userpw3
>
> And everything works fine with IMAP. I am completely domain-agnostic
> here.

I do not know how to strip the domain when the username is handed over from postfix to dovecot, and what
would be the sane solution.

I hope, you can give me a hint to that.

Thank you, again, and greetings,

Matthias Hofer