[Dovecot] LMTP Setup/Design Help Request

Matthias Hofer mazze at the-lions.org
Sat Apr 13 15:00:22 EEST 2013

> [...]
>> postfix/lmtp[10994]: C2DF4C000DF: to=<user1 at mydomain.org>, relay=mail.mydomain.org[private/dovecot-lmtp],
>> delay=0.1, delays=0.05/0/0/0.04, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host mail.mydomain.org[private/dovecot-lmtp]
>> said: 550 5.1.1 <user1 at mydomain.org> User doesn't exist: user1 at mydomain.org (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>>
>>> # cat /etc/dovecot/mypasswd.file
>>> user1:{PLAIN}userpw1
>>> user2:{PLAIN}userpw2
>>> user3:{PLAIN}userpw3
>
> You have to use full usernames like:
>
> user1 at mydomain.org
> user2 at mydomain.org
> user3 at mydomain.org
>
> user1 != user1 at mydomain.org

I understand that technical issue, but what I wanted was a possible solution based on plain usernames.

This is because I want to make the transition from dbmail to dovecot completely transparent to users and
clients, and dbmail just uses plain login names, indepentend of what e-Mail alias would then in dbmail be
mapped to which login name.

The plain solution above now works completely transparent for IMAP with dovecot, and it is also documented
in the wiki that dovecot is domain agnostic. That is great news for my setup.

Where I am very flexible is delivering mail: I could use dovecot-lda or dovecot-lmtpd, or postfix doing the
work itself or whatever. It is just that I did not find any solution, and this is why I was asking for help
here.

So, is there a way for dovecot-{lda/lmtpd} to accept "user1 at mydomain.org" but checks for "user1" in the user
DB?

If there is some other idea, I would be happy to hear about it.

Thank you, again,

Matthias Hofer