[Dovecot] How to manually generate a password hash

David Murphy glibdud at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 14 18:59:41 EEST 2013

> Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 03:24:38 -0700
> From: professa at dementianati.com
> CC: dovecot at dovecot.org
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] How to manually generate a password hash
>
> 1) If your passwords are of the format $1$..., then they are in standard
> crypt md5 format.  They are salted.  The salt is between the second and
> third $ and the actual hash follows the third $.

Aha! That's the piece I was missing. I never noticed the third '$' and for some reason I never tried running doveadm pw the exact same way twice in a row to notice that the results were different. Verified that I could generate a hash from doveadm pw, insert it in the database, and log in on that account.

Thank you, and thanks to the others who responded as well.

-Dave