[Dovecot] Dovecot IMAPS and slow reconnections

Jarrad jarrad at elysiumtech.com.au
Tue Apr 16 10:17:14 EEST 2013

Hi List,

I've recently moved from postfix + courier-imap to a new server with
postfix + dovecot with a mysql user management.

I have it up and running and receiving mail ok but I'm having problems
with IMAP connections being slow. I have an iphone with multiple imap
accounts set up on it (4 I think) and when I open the mail app it
connects to first account quickly. Then if I navigate to another account
it takes about 1 minute to connect (sits there with the 'connecting....'
status)

Looking at the logs it shows the connection come through at the same
time the iphone actually connects so it's as if something is timing out
before it actually connects.

My setup is an Amazon EC2 micro instance running debian wheezy. There
is about 5 domains being hosted with approximately 4-5 accounts for each
so it's not a heavy load by any means. I've tried bumping up the max
connections, service_count and minimum processes but nothing seems to
help.

Any advice is much appreciated.

My config is as per below:

# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64 x86_64 Debian 7.0 ext4
auth_debug = yes
auth_verbose = yes
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
   driver = sql
}
protocols = " imap pop3"
service auth {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0660
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener auth-master {
     group = vmail
     mode = 0600
     user = vmail
   }
}
service imap-login {
   process_min_avail = 5
   service_count = 10
}
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.key
userdb {
   args = uid=5000 gid=5000 home=/var/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
allow_all_users=yes
   driver = static
}
verbose_ssl = yes
protocol lda {
   auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
   log_path =
   mail_plugins =
   postmaster_address = <removed for spam reasons>
}
protocol imap {
   mail_max_userip_connections = 100
}