[Dovecot] Maildirs location migration

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Apr 16 13:38:33 EEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:09:18PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> > the user may see an incorrect state for a small amount of time, doesn't he
> > ?

[...]
> For a small amount of time, yes.

[...]
> Which is probably a few seconds, so I don't see this as much of a problem.

Well, isn't, as with rsync, the travel time through the filesystem (to find out
what's to be sync'ed) incompressible, in which case it would take more than a
few seconds on a large mailbox (I'm testing but in more complex conditions) ?

Is dsync, for that matter, fastest than rsync (maybe because using
dovecot-uidlist or similar) ?

Besides, how about client side indexing while in this incoherent, not yet fully
sync'ed state ? Wouldn't there be corruption risk ?

Thanks.

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Groupe Exploitation et Infrastructure