[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.2 multiple master user passdb's not working anymore

Christian Wiese christian.wiese at securepoint.de
Tue Apr 16 16:12:55 EEST 2013

Hi,

after an update from dovecot 2.1.16 to 2.2.0 I encountered a problem
when using multiple master user passdb's like the following:

----%<---------------------------------------------------------
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.foo-master
  driver = passwd-file
  master = yes
}
passdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.bar-master
  driver = passwd-file
  master = yes
}
----%<---------------------------------------------------------

The former behavior that the passdb's are searched sequentially
to find the given master user doesn't seem to work anymore.
Only the first passdb is searched, and thus authentication will fail
for all master users which are not defined in the first passdb.

Because I cannot find any hint that the master user handling has
changed fundamentally it looks like a bug, but maybe I missed
configuration related changes from 2.1 to 2.2 that is causing this new
behavior.

Cheers,
Chris