[Dovecot] Moving mail servers, moving mailboxes

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Wed Apr 17 14:17:06 EEST 2013

On 17/04/2013 10:58, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 16.4.2013, at 2.48, Gregory Sloop<gregs at sloop.net>  wrote:
>
>> In short, migrating a RHEL 5.9 server running the back-ported Dovecot 1.0.7
>> To: Ububtu 12.04 with 2.0.19, I believe.
>
> Dovecot v2.0 can use v1.0's mbox/maildir files including their metadata. v2.0 should also be able to read v1.0's index files without errors.

We've a similar wish, except that we were hoping to install 2.2 on a
different box (intending in our case to run Debian Squeeze instead of
Ubuntu LTS).  Can 2.2 (or, if not, then 2.1) also read 1.0 metadata?

(Or is 'only' 2.0 able to read 1.0 metadata?  In which case we'd
probably migrate through 2.0.x to 2.2, on Squeeze.)

Note on the Wiki:  The Migration page
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Migration
is good at describing migration 'to' Dovecot from other systems, and
does suggest that Dovecot will read existing files.  I think there
were earlier discussions on the list about Dovecot version changes
which meant that newer versions could read older versions' data, but
older versions could not read newer versions' data.  These aspects are
not relevant for 'migrating to' Dovecot, but are worth keeping in mind
for 'upgrading' Dovecot.

There is version to version upgrading advice, covering all aspects,
not only which version can read what, here
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading

What I can see, from the descriptions of each version change, is that
V2.x can read V1.x, but V1.2.4 or lower cannot read V2.x data.
Permissions for Maildir changed, though, in V2.0 and, then for all
mailbox types (it says 'creating home directories', actually), in
V2.2.  This latter change in 2.2 seems to be relevant for any
mailboxes that will be accessed by several different users who are
actually 'system users', ie, a mail service where the mailbox is
'shared', and the installation is using 'system users' (not,
therefore, using 'virtual users', if I have understood correctly).

This info is (surely) fully understood already by all the serious
mail-server users on the list, but I wonder if it might be helpful to
spell it out for less confident users who are getting up to speed with
these aspects.  If the text I've written above is correct, shall I add
it to the upgrading page of the Wiki, so that there is a definitive
answer to the query which version(s) read what?

regards, Ron