[Dovecot] Dovecot connection problem - Too many invalid commands (no auth attempts) - v2.0.19

Thomas Standaert thomasstandaert_2 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 17 16:26:42 EEST 2013

Hello.

This might be a silly problem, but I'm a bit a newbie at this, and the
internet didn't give me a solution to this yet.

I installed a mail server with postfix, dovecot, postfixadmin and a mysql DB
for authentification, using this tutorial :
<http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-doveco
t-mysql/>
http://www.exratione.com/2012/05/a-mailserver-on-ubuntu-1204-postfix-dovecot
-mysql/. Except step 4. The complete tutorial worked on a virtual machine,
but doesn't work here on a vps from ovh.net.

Connecting via telnet localhost 143 works, I can connect.

When I try to connect via thunderbird, the domain name is picked up, but
gives me a bad login/password combination. Mail.log, mail.err and error
don't show anything.

Via MS Outlook, I seem to get stuck on the connection page, and I get the
following errors in mail.log:

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: Too many invalid commands (no auth
attempts): rip=x, lip=y

dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y, TLS:
Disconnected

dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y, TLS:
Disconnected

dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y, TLS:
Disconnected

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts rip=x, lip=y

dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y, TLS
handshaking: Disconnected

dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected (no auth attempts): rip=x, lip=y, TLS
handshaking: Disconnected

And after a while asks to try to connect via plain method.

Doveconf -n gives me this

# 2.0.19: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

# OS: Linux 2.6.32-042stab068.8 x86_64 Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS simfs

auth_mechanisms = plain login

first_valid_uid = 150

last_valid_uid = 150

mail_gid = mail

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n

mail_uid = vmail

passdb {

  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext

  driver = sql

}

protocols = " imap pop3"

service auth {

    group = postfix

    mode = 0660

    user = postfix

  }

  unix_listener auth-userdb {

    group = mail

    mode = 0600

    user = vmail

  }

}

ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem

ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem

userdb {

  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext

  driver = sql

}

Hope you guys can help me, and thanks in advance for it.

Greetings,

Thomas Standaert