[Dovecot] Multiple Logins on same accounts from different stations, RE-POSTING

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 19 14:16:16 EEST 2013

On 19.4.2013, at 12.36, HL <freemail.grharry at gmail.com> wrote:

>> If there were different accounts accessing the same shared mailbox, I could see why it might sometimes not notice all the latest changes (because they'd be using different index files then and might miss changes in maildir - although even that shouldn't happen). But if the clients aren't seeing changes for the same shared account, then I can't really think of any good reason for your problem. All clients are notified of all changes when Dovecot sees them. There shouldn't be any change from how v1.2 worked.
>>
> Does dovecot notify clients that drop into an idle state ?

That's especially when it notifies them.

> I see a bunch of *_idle_* params, that confuse me, like
>
> default_idle_kill = 1 mins
> imap_idle_notify_interval = 2 mins
> imapc_max_idle_time = 29 mins
> mailbox_idle_check_interval = 30 secs
>
> and
>
> idle_kill = 0
> or
> idle_kill = 4294967295 secs

Well, there are 3 different things in here.. mailbox_idle_check_interval was a bit badly named, but that's the only one that actually affects notifications. With 30 secs it means that unless kernel notifies faster using e.g. inotify, Dovecot checks every 30 seconds the filesystem to see if the mtimes have changed.