[Dovecot] SELECT/EXAMINE don't report URLMECH

Mike Abbott michael.abbott at apple.com
Tue Apr 30 02:25:24 EEST 2013

In dovecot-2.2.1 neither the SELECT nor the EXAMINE commands include an untagged URLMECH reply.  (Note, this is not the one mandated by the RESETKEY command.)

AFAICT RFC 4467 does not require an URLMECH reply to SELECT or EXAMINE but without it clients have no way of knowing about authorization mechanisms other than INTERNAL.  Now I know dovecot-2.2 supports only the INTERNAL mechanism at present so this is probably harmless, but still I think it's worthwhile to ask:  Is the absence of the URLMECH reply intentional or an oversight?

For comparison Apple's enhanced dovecot replies:
c1 select inbox
[...]
* OK [URLMECH INTERNAL] Mechanisms supported
c1 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed.