[Dovecot] trouble with setting individual quota values for multiple namespaces

Andreas Oster aoster at novanetwork.de
Thu Aug 1 11:09:09 EEST 2013

Hello all

please apologize that I repost this problem again. I tried to get some
help several times on the list but did not find/get a solution.

I am still struggling to setup different quotas for namespaces.

In addition to the default "INBOX" namespace I have created a namespace
called "MailArchive" which should have its own quota value of 5G per user.

At first I configured quota2 like this:

  quota2 = maildir:MailArchive quota:ns=MailArchive/
  quota2_rule = *:storage=5G

and this seemd to work quite well. Users, accessing the MailArchive
namespace can see the 5G limit in their mail client, unfortunately in
the mail.err log file, errors like these repeatedly appear:

Jul 29 11:40:24 mailserver dovecot: imap(testuser): Error: quota:
Unknown namespace: MailArchive/
Jul 29 11:41:43  dovecot: last message repeated 47 times

In the WIKI I have read, that in order to have quota for different
namespaces, one would have to use different quota backends so I changed
the quota config for the MailArchive namespace to SQL.

namespace inbox {
  disabled = no
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = yes
  list = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    auto = subscribe
    driver =
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    auto = subscribe
    driver =
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    auto = subscribe
    driver =
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    auto = no
    driver =
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    auto = subscribe
    driver =
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}

namespace {
  disabled = no
  hidden = no
  ignore_on_failure = no
  inbox = no
  list = yes
  location = maildir:/var/vmail/archive/%Ln/Maildir
  mailbox "Archived Mails" {
    auto = subscribe
    driver =
  }
  prefix = MailArchive/
  separator = /
  subscriptions = yes
  type = private
}

plugin {
  quota = maildir:User quota:ns=
  quota2 = dict:Archive Quota:%u.mailarchive:ns=MailArchive/:proxy::sqlquota
  quota2_rule = *:storage=5G
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+200M
}

dict {
 sqlquota = mysql:/etc/dovecot/dovecot-dict-sql.conf.ext
}

Unfortunately this did not change anything. Quota is working like
expected but I still get the same errors in mail.err.

I am currently using dovecot version 2.2.4.

Thank you for your kind help

best regards

Andreas