[Dovecot] Expunged message reappeared, giving a new UID

Simon Fraser srf at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Aug 6 15:59:26 EEST 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 14:30 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> Here's another idea:

Thank you for still looking into this

> Try disabling replicator plugin from only one side, so there's not possibility of two dsyncs running at the same time. That should be prevented already by locking though.

I disabled the replication on node b, restarted both, and connected to
node a to deliver and read mail, and had the same symptoms. Tried it
with replication enabled on node b but disabled on node a, and naturally
the message didn't get replicated at all, and so didn't reappear.

> The servers have different hostnames, right?

They do. There was a record that pointed to both IP addresses, but I've
removed it after reading your suggestion here, and still see the
symptoms. I also have a test system which has never had that A record
that can show the same symptoms.

> The more I think about it, the more this makes sense. You seem to have
> different hostnames, but .. maybe they're not from Dovecot's point of
> view for some reason? I added a new dovecot --hostdomain parameter to
> check it: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/5a3821097f3c

root at intmail3a:~# /mail/sbin/dovecot --hostdomain
intmail3a.internal.sanger.ac.uk
root at intmail3b:~# /mail/sbin/dovecot --hostdomain
intmail3b.internal.sanger.ac.uk

Each hostname points to 1 IP address, and the only PTR for each IP
address is the hostname. No entry in /etc/hosts for either server name.

Inspired by this, I have also tried disabling ipv6 on both servers, in
case the lack of DNS entries there was causing an issue, but it didn't
fix it.

Simon.