[Dovecot] Postfix aliases with quota-status service

Thomas Leuxner tlx at leuxner.net
Tue Aug 6 22:20:13 EEST 2013

* /dev/rob0 <rob0 at gmx.co.uk> 2013.08.06 20:49:

> Personally, I'd much rather allow the last overquota mail, even in
> cases where the user goes far over the quota. Apparently Thomas
> intends to have a solid, inflexible quota.

The point I'm trying to make is mail being queued by Postfix because it has no means to validate the mail would take the user over quota. In the scenarios I tested with SIZE being part of MAIL FROM the mail gets rejected at SMTPD stage, while without SIZE supplied it will get queued and eventually be rejected by the MDA.

AFAIK the whole endeavour was undertaken to avoid queue injection of mails knowing they would bounce. This seems to work when the SMTPD receives enough detail.

As to Timo's example:

This also seems to work given the quota is *over* the limit incl. grace:

$ doveadm quota get -u philo at trashheap.net
Quota name Type    Value Limit                                                                                           %
user       STORAGE 10914 10240                                                                                         106
user       MESSAGE     5     -                                                                                           0

Aug  6 20:56:31 spectre postfix/smtpd[27201]: connect from mail-oa0-f44.google.com[209.85.219.44]
Aug  6 20:56:32 spectre postfix/smtpd[27201]: Anonymous TLS connection established from mail-oa0-f44.google.com[209.85.219.44]: TLSv1 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-RC4-SHA (128/128 bits)

Now everything in between seems to create SMTPD rejections in some cases _or_ queue the mail and let it hit the quota in other cases. That's my whole point...