[Dovecot] INBOX protected foldername?

Hajo Locke hajo.locke at gmx.de
Tue Aug 13 10:05:01 EEST 2013

Hello,
>> yes, exactly.subfolders of INBOX are hidden. I was confused at the first
>> time because clients created own INBOX folders with subfolders and i
>> misunderstood the situation.
>> I could only make them visible with the 2 namespace solution from here:
>> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Namespaces (Mixed mbox and Maildir)
>> This looks weird because its 2 times almost the same (mbox), but works.
>> Should i keep this configuration or wait for a fix?

>It's most likely fixed in a newer v2.1, which I think is available in
>Debian backports.

In official repos currently i found nothing newer then 2.1.7. This version
is widely used in ubuntu versions. There are some repos outside of ubuntu
with newer versions but i try to avoid this. Including untrusted code from
unknown repos can lead to later surprises...
Currently i spent a lot of time with 2.1.7. We included your userdb-import
patches (you remember) and created some own patches to make xlist and
special-use work at the same time by individual usersettings. I built
individual packages for our 3 systemtypes and had updated already some
thousand machines as we noticed this problem and did a rollback

Is this fix a particular sequence in later code? so i could make an
additional patch.

Otherwise i tend to keep this config, even if it looks unusual.
Do you see a problem when using something like this:

namespace inbox {
  prefix = "#mbox/"
  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
  inbox = yes
  hidden = yes
  list = no
}
namespace mboxes {
  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
}

If you approve this config and it will not lead to other problems i would
keep it. else i have to start at the beginning again...

Thanks,
Hajo