[Dovecot] Dovecot mailbox in read-only mode, Permanentflags empty

Tommi A omena at aaneton.net
Wed Aug 14 14:06:17 EEST 2013

Hi,
I have installed Postfix + Dovecot 2.2.5 on a Fresh Arch Linux server
(using Arch Linux repository packages).
When accessing mailbox through Dovecot IMAP, all user mailboxes are in
READ-ONLY mode.

Here is a snippet from IMAP telnet conversation (after successful
login).

a LIST "" "*"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." INBOX
a OK List completed.
a EXAMINE INBOX
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()] Read-only mailbox.
* 1 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1] First unseen.
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 1376459543] UIDs valid
* OK [UIDNEXT 2] Predicted next UID
* OK [NOMODSEQ] No permanent modsequences
a OK [READ-ONLY] Examine completed (0.000 secs).

I can read the messages but trying to delete results in:

a uid store 1 +flags.silent (\Seen \Deleted)
a OK Store ignored with read-only mailbox.

I have tried ALOT of different settings (mbox/maildir/acl) but nothing
seems to help, also no error messages are found in any logfiles.
I noticed from mailing list archive that Dovecot has had Permanentflags
problem in the past, but bugs should have been fixed.

Is the bug back or is there something wrong with my configuration?

Best Regards
Tommi

P.S. Here is my dovecot configuration:
# 2.2.5: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.10.5-1-ARCH x86_64
auth_debug = yes
debug_log_path = /var/log/dovecot_debug.log
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.log
mail_debug = yes
mail_full_filesystem_access = yes
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
namespace inbox {
hidden = no
inbox = yes
location =
mailbox Drafts {
special_use = \Drafts
}
mailbox Junk {
special_use = \Junk
}
mailbox Sent {
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox "Sent Messages" {
special_use = \Sent
}
mailbox Trash {
special_use = \Trash
}
prefix =
type = private
}
passdb {
driver = pam
}
plugin {
mail_log_events = delete undelete expunge copy mailbox_delete
mailbox_rename
}
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem