[Dovecot] Couldn't drop privileges

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Thu Aug 15 22:38:24 EEST 2013

On 15 Aug 2013, at 13:26 , LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> What is not shown is the full path to the maildir, just the maildir value returned from the sql query. It really really looks like this should be working and like the
>
> userdb {
>  driver = static
>  args = uid=vpopmail gid=postfix home=/usr/local/virtual/%u
> }
>
> block is just not having the desired effect.

Progress (I know you are all reading this with bated breath in eager anticipation of my next missive).

I changed the user_query to

select 89 as uid, 125 as gid, concat('/usr/local/virtual/', maildir) from mailbox where username = '%u'

and got a new error, which I think reveals the source of the problem:

Error: user lists@*munged*: Mail access for users with UID 89 not permitted (see first_valid_uid in config file, uid from userdb lookup).

So, I set first_valid_uid = 89 and I get a NEW error.

Aug 15 13:34:05 auth: Debug: master userdb out: USER	4078043137	lists@*munged*	uid=89	gid=125	concat('/usr/local/virtual/', maildir)=/usr/local/virtual/lists@*munged*/	auth_token=2cb95ca06efdab697854015a93d7c3b0001b417b
Aug 15 13:34:05 imap-login: Info: Login: user=<lists@*munged*>, method=PLAIN, rip=ip.xx.yy.zz, lip=75.148.117.91, mpid=77996, TLS, session=<mhyXjgHkdAAXGJaN>
Aug 15 13:34:05 imap(lists@*munged*): Error: user lists@*munged*: Initialization failed: Namespace '': Home directory not set for user. Can't expand ~/ for mail root dir in: ~/Maildir
Aug 15 13:34:05 imap(lists@*munged*): Error: Invalid user settings. Refer to server log for more information.

So, the uid and gid are now correct, the maildir path is correct, and it is STILL not happy.

--
Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to
contemplate... --Feet of Clay