[Dovecot] Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Aug 19 15:08:32 EEST 2013

Am 19.08.2013 14:03, schrieb Reindl Harald:

> Am 19.08.2013 14:00, schrieb LuKreme:
>> All of a sudden I am getting these errors on one of my accounts:
>>
>> imap-login: Info: Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_userip_connections=10)
>> It was working fine last night when I went to bed, and is posting these errors nearly constantly
>
> in case of IMAP 10 is *way* too low!
>
> keep in mind that
>
> * a IMAP client opens one connection *per folder*
> * if you have 5 folders and a user with 3 devices (workstation, phone, tablet) you are done
> * if you have a few imap-users behind the same NAT you are done

missed "I looked at the documentation on how to increase this setting"
and "It looks like in dovecot 1.x this would go in an protocol imap
block, but I don't have one of those in my conf"

it goes in no block, part of the main config

login_log_format_elements      = user=<%u> %r %m %c
login_log_format               = %$: %s
mail_max_userip_connections    = 50
auth_mechanisms                = CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5 APOP LOGIN PLAIN
disable_plaintext_auth         = no
shutdown_clients               = no
version_ignore                 = yes