[Dovecot] Disagreement on where mail goes.

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Mon Aug 19 15:51:46 EEST 2013

On 19 Aug 2013, at 00:42 , Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> See http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Maildir I never used it myself, but if you specify mail_location, you should be able to drop "/Maildir" from the path. If Dovecot is to automagically detect the mailbox format, you need Maildir.
>
> If you want to use different mail locations, you need to have your userdb return another mail_location setting for (some) users. E.g. configure the default / usual mail_location in the conf files and have SQL return a field mail with the proper location for that particular user.
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/MailLocation
>
> "2. mail userdb field overrides mail_location setting."
>
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/SQL

Thanks, I'v read those, but I don't know what the scope of that setting is.

I have mail_location set to milder:~/Maildir at the top-level of the dovecot.conf.

If I try to set it again in the userdb

userdb {
  args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.ext
  driver = sql
  default_fields= uid=vpopmail gid=vchkpw mail_location=/usr/local/virtual/%u
}

Well, I thought that threw an error last time I tried it. Hmm. OK.

<watches the logs with suspicion for a while>

OK, never mind. I don't know what I did last time, that does seem to work.

--
Nothing gold can stay -- Robert Frost Stay gold -- Johnny Cade