[Dovecot] Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Aug 20 02:45:06 EEST 2013

On 8/19/2013 4:10 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> may i suggest you read about how IMAP IDLE works?

Oh, well sure, if you hang your hat on IDLE then your arguments here
might make sense.  But because of the brain dead one socket per folder
architecture of IDLE few have adopted it en masse.  Which is why my
comments ignored the existence of IDLE.  And which is also why the
creators of the RFC stated clients must not count on the existence of
IDLE and must poll, which seems really odd.  Many have, and still ask,
why even have IDLE then if we must still poll?

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2177

"(While the spec actually does allow a server to push EXISTS responses
aysynchronously, a client can't expect this behaviour and must poll.)"

Given the option of potentially dozens of open sockets between his
server and any client simply to allow IDLE to work for all folders, or
one or two connections and strictly client polling, I'd guess most
admins will choose the latter.

--
Stan