[Dovecot] Dovecot Dsync

Ben ben+dovecot at mail-subs.com
Wed Aug 21 01:03:15 EEST 2013

> Maybe everyone is waiting for someone smarter than themselves to answer
> this.. :-)

Maybe... but at the same time, there's a risk of me abandoning Dsync for
rsync or something else that I know I could have implemented by now with
far less frustration ! However I'm keen to learn how to utilise the
power within Dsync.... ;-)

> So.. hoping I read and understood your email correctly ...

Hoping that email wasn't too confusing ;-(

> The first thing you tried failed because only root can change
> permissions, except for using the setuid bit which is probably not what
> you want here.
> The second might have failed because of:
>
> userdb {
>    args = username_format=%u /etc/dovecot/users
>    driver = passwd-file
> }
>
> dsync is using userdb and not authdb because it's not checking a
> password here. Can it be that its-virtmail doesn't have permission to
> read /etc/dovecot/users ?

hmmm ... its chmod 640 root:dovecot on the primary server and the same
on the backup box.  Do I need to mess around with permissions on both or
just the backup box ?

I was under the impression that Dsync was just a more modern version of
a doveadm tool that went by a similar name and hence assumed it would
use dovecot permissions.

But then again, who knows... I was getting very confused at the end of a
long day trying to make it work !