[Dovecot] combining pop3 and imap accounts

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Aug 22 14:05:25 EEST 2013

HI,

I have a working exim4 + dovecot system that uses system user folders for
the inbox.

exim4:
domains = dsearch;/etc/exim4/virtual

dovecot:
mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

- I would like to add additional virtual accounts using the method
described in this post:

exim4:

/etc/exim4/conf.d/router/360_exim4-local_vdom_aliases

vdom_aliases_maildir:
      debug_print = "R: vdom_aliases_maildir for $local_part@$domain"
      driver = redirect
      allow_defer
      allow_fail
      domains = dsearch;/var/mail/virtual
      data = /var/mail/virtual/$domain/$local_part/
      directory_transport = address_directory
      pipe_transport   = address_pipe
      file_transport   = address_file

dovecot:

mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/virtual/%d/%n/
auth_userdb = passwd-file /etc/passwd.imap

- I have read about "Namespace" but I am not sure if they will work with
virtual pop3 and virtual imap accounts. as I also want to keep the
existing pop3 setup without have to modify the location of the inbox for
existing accounts pop3 accounts.

It seems that exim4 is fine with this method but I am not sure about
dovecot. Is it possible to have pop3 and imap running while also using
multiple delivery folder locations for the mail_location directive?

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd