[Dovecot] Migrating from Maildir to Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

Rainer M Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Aug 27 12:45:26 EEST 2013

Christian Schmidt <Christian.Schmidt at chemie.uni-hamburg.de> writes:

> Hello Rainer,
>
> 24.08.2013 12:42, Rainer M Krug:
>> I have use dovecot together with offlineimap to download my gmail
>> account on a single user computer and I have only one maildir
>> (~/Maildir).
>>
>> As I switched to Mac, I would like to use spotlight to index my mails,
>> which apparently does not work as they are in hidden directories
>> (.directories). So I would like to change to LAYOUT=fs. Is there an easy
>> way to migrate my email structure? I have several folders and
>> subfolders, but a manual solution would be fine with me as well.
>
> Wouldn't it be best for spotlight if you used "local storage" for your
> mails? In other words: Just download them from your server into your
> local account. The you're done, and spoltlight will be able to index them.

I am using gnus as my mail client. Before switching to mac, I had an old
hp and thunderbird just got to slow. So I switched to gnus and I started
loving it. After switching to mac, I tried thunderbird again but can't
get used to it again and the same with OS X mail (whatever the proiper
name of the OS X Mountain Lion mail client is).

I could use one of these and link to the local imap server to index the
mails for spotlight, but this would mean doubling my mail storage space
(at the moment about 8GB).

Cheers und mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Rainer

--