[Dovecot] How do I get CRAM-MD5 to work?

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Wed Aug 28 01:24:57 EEST 2013

I know how to ENABLE CRAM-MD5, but getting it to actually work?

<http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/CRAM-MD5>

It looks like I have to 1) manually create a CRAM-MD5 data file and, I suppose, 2) manually manage the file? Given I do not know user's passwords, this might be tricky.

Currently I have users authenticate against MySQL (virtual users) or pam (local users).

Or do i just ignore it all and stick with PLAIN since the connection is already encrypted?

What is LOGIN?

My MUA supports "Password" (which is PLAIN evidently), kerberos 5, MD5 Challenge-response (CRAM-MD5), and NTML (??)

--
If you have any young friends who aspire to become writers, the
second-greatest favor you can do them is to present them with copies of