[Dovecot] 2.2.4 + metadata plugin: autoconf failed

Christian Wiese christian.wiese at securepoint.de
Thu Aug 29 17:38:29 EEST 2013

Hi Andreas,

sorry to hear that you didn't had much luck so far to solve the issue.
I just tested to run the supplied autogen.sh on a freshly checked out
metadata plugin tree, and had no issues.

Somehow it seems to me that you might miss some important development
files like some 3rd party .m4 files defining certain macros for
autoconf.

Can you please tell me the versions of autoconf, automake, m4,
libtool you are using and paste me the output of following commands?

Please provide the information for the debian host where it actually
builds and for one of the other hosts where it fails to build.

grep -rn "AC_PROG_CC_C99" /usr/share/auto*

that particular macro should be found in something like
/usr/share/autoconf/autoconf/c.m4

find /usr/share/ -name "dovecot.m4"

Actually I am nearly sure that you are missing the 'dovecot.m4' file,
which is installed at '/usr/share/aclocal/dovecot.m4' on my test host.

I bet the debian host is having the 'dovecot.m4' installed and the
others don't have it, because after renaming the 'dovecot.m4' here I
ran into the very same issue you have ;)

bash-4.2# mv /usr/share/aclocal/dovecot.m4{,.orig}
bash-4.2# ./autogen.sh
+ creating m4/ ...
+ running autoreconf ...
libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.
libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'
libtoolize: putting macros in AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR, `m4'.
libtoolize: copying file `m4/libtool.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltoptions.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltsugar.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/ltversion.m4'
libtoolize: copying file `m4/lt~obsolete.m4'
src/Makefile.am:33: DOVECOT_PLUGIN_DEPS does not appear in
AM_CONDITIONAL src/Makefile.am:41: DOVECOT_PLUGIN_DEPS does not appear
in AM_CONDITIONAL src/Makefile.am:10: `dovecot_pkglib_LTLIBRARIES' is
used but `dovecot_pkglibdir' is undefined src/Makefile.am:13: variable
`libdovecot_metadata_la_SOURCES' is defined but no program or
src/Makefile.am:13: library has `libdovecot_metadata_la' as canonical
name (possible typo) autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

So now we only need to find why the file was not installed on your
"failing hosts".

How did you compiled and installed dovecot on those?

As I am compiling/installing dovecot from sources using the provided
autotools infrastructure which seems to install the needed 'dovecot.m4',
I suppose you ran into an issue with the (S)RPMs provided for your SLES
version.
For example it is simply not installing the file because RPM is such a
"marvelous" packaging system forcing package maintainers to specify what
to install instead of simply relying on the way provided by the author
to simply run 'make install'.
Another reason could be that you simply missed to install the
'dovecot-devel' package, which should install the 'dovecot.m4'.
At least in the case of Fedora that seems to be the case.

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/dovecot.git/tree/dovecot.spec#n444

Cheers
Chris